Replacement FJR

All of the information and pictures here were posted over several weeks on both the FJR Forum and the FJRiders Forum. I decided to add them to my blog as well.

In September of 2010 while on a ride in MO I went into a corner too fast, and ended up low siding my 2006 FJR. While I walked away with only a few bumps and bruises, the bike ended up being totalled. I now have a replacement very low miles, STOCK, 2006 FJR, and I plan on spending the winter setting it up for IBA rides and hopefully some rallies.

In the last two weeks I have managed to get a little, not much, but a little done on the bike. Mostly, I have been taking things off of the bike, so I can add farkles.

Once some of the items were out of the way, the first thing I did was to get rid of the PAIR system. I was able to get the needed hardware off of the old bike before i turned it in, and I really like the way this cleans up the engine compartment. It makes doing a TBS a hell of a lot easier.

I am also hoping the extra space will make adding the needed lines for a fuel cell at some point in the future a little easier.

Next I removed the handles bars, triple tree, front tire, and forks.

I did this to change the front tire, add 90 degree valve stems, put on a super brace, install risers, and add the stem mount for my ZUMO gps.

The other advantage of taking all these things off is that it makes getting at the head lights a lot easier, and installing the HID’s is the first thing I will do before putting things back together.

One thing I have learned from working on the bike many times now, is that since I almost never get to work on it for more than an hour or two at a time, keeping things in order is critical. One thing I do is to take any fasteners for a panel or part and put them in a zip-lock bag. I them tape the bag onto the part. The more I label things, the easier it is to get things back together, sometimes several weeks after I have taken them apart.

I should receive my rebuilt Penske rear shock on Monday. When I go to install it, I am going to take the rear tire off and also grease the splines on the drive shaft. I am then going to be doing the needed modifications to go over to the dark side, and run a car tire.

I hope to get to work on the bike again tomorrow, or maybe next weekend, but with two little kids, and Christmas just around the corner, free time is hard to come by.
I got up at 4:15 this morning to try and have a few hours to work on the bike without interruption.

If there is a HELL, I am positive that working on the headlights of a Gen 2 FJR will be one of the worst things souls will have to do there. It took a while, but I was able to get the HID conversion set installed. The number of wires you have to deal with, and try to hide is….challenging. I think the way I have things zip-tied will work.

By the time I was done with the fooking head lights, I wasn’t in the mood to deal with anything too involved. So I slide the forks back on for a minute to help align the triple tree, and then installed it with the risers.

I wanted the get the handle bars out of the way, and this work was pretty easy. I then finished putting on the BMW grips, the heavy bar ends, my Pazzo levers with the new long clutch lever installed, and I decided to give the hand guards I have another try.

It looks like it will be at least a week until I get another chance to work on the bike. By then I know the rebuild Penske will be ready to install, and I am hoping the Clearwater lights I bought will be here as well. I forgot to mention that I also added the Vista Cruise, which I use as a back up for the Audiovox CC, and when I just need to free up my right hand for a few seconds.

My full day set aside for working on the bike turned into only about 4 hours, but I was still able to get a few things done. First I drained the fork oil. Judging from how the oil looked (it only had 8K miles on it) I am really glad I took the time to do this. The forks are still hanging in the shop, since the oil takes quite awhile to drain all the way.

Then I took off the rear wheel, and pulled the drive shaft the grease the splines. I also took off the rod that connects the rear brake, since i am going to convert over to the dark-side. I then took off the stock rear shock, and installed my newly serviced Penske.

I then put my Audiovox CC on, though the install is far from complete. I will have to talk to Smitty to figure out how to complete a few of the connections.

I also started to pull some of the electrical wires from the front to the tail of the bike where I have the Fuzeblock mounted.

I didn’t connect them, but I just couldn’t resist mounting the Clearwater lights on one side of the bike. I think I am going to need to modify the brackets sent from Clearwater, since they are not drilled out enough to allow them to mount on the metal studs for the mirrors. They sit on top of the rubber gasket that normally goes between the mirror and the plastic, and I don’t feel like that is solid enough. Still, they look great!

Hopefully I will get a chance to work on it for a few more hours this weekend.

Weekly Update:

I don’t feel like I got much of anything done this weekend, but I do feel like I spent a lot of time chasing my tail, and making trips to the hardware store.

I was able to finish making my stainless steel brake bar, and got it installed. This required one of the trips to the hardware store, for 5/16″ drill bit, after I FRIED the one I had.

I then decided to try and finish mounting the Clearwater lights. I wanted to drill out the mounting brackets that came with the lights, so that they actually went over the studs from the mirror mounts, and didn’t just sit on top of them. I wanted to make the fit of these as perfect as I could, and while it looked like a 3/8″ drill bit would work perfect, I ended up having to make another trip to the hardware store to get a 25/64 bit. Even at that size, the brackets are VERY tight on the posts. I think the 4 light set up looks bad-ass, but I won’t be 100% convinced until everything is hooked up, and I can use them on a dark road.

I spent a decent amount of time pulling wires, and starting to get things set up for connecting the Krista’s. Between all the wires for the 2 sets of Krista’s, and the wires form the converting the head lights to HID’s the nose of the bike is a mess. I am just praying everything works when I start the bike up and turn the lights on. Otherwise it is going to suck to pull everything out to find the problem.

I also wanted to finish changing the oil on the forks and get them installed, but I ran out of oil after finishing one of the forks, and there wasn’t anywhere to buy fork oil that was open on a Sunday. That will have to wait until next week.

I have also been making slow progress on hooking up the Audiovox Cruise Control, but I have NO IDEA what needs to be done in regards to hooking up some of the wires just behind the air filter. I didn’t have time to inspect them carefully before I removed them from the old bike, and I know something needs to be changed in regards to the factory settings, but I again I don’t know what. Any help would be great, and I have sent an E-mail to Smitty, since he installed the unit on my old bike. FWIW, I have red, blue, and purple wires coming from the Audiovox that need to be hooked up.

The fuel cell from Joe will be here tomorrow, but I haven’t done anything to get things ready for installing it. I had been hoping to have bought some of the fittings and fuel lines by now, but there just aren’t enough hours in the day.

I almost forgot, that I also received the G2 throttle tube from Highlander, and installed it. It was a piece of cake to install, and I hope it smooths things out as much as some of the people who have them say.

I had a few hours to work on the FJR this morning, so here is an update on what I have gotten done.

First thing this morning I got the Fender Extender glued on to the fender and clamped. I will leave it clamped for at least 2 or 3 days, and then it will be ready to be installed.

Next up was installing the car tire on the rear. This took a little longer than I had planed, but it all went together just fine. I was surprised when I went to pick the tire up on Saturday after having it mounted and the owner of the shop talked to me about how he ran a car tire on his Valkyrie for several years before he got rid of the bike. I guess I now be dark siding.

I decided to do something easy next, so I installed the Cee Baileys headlight guards. I know they look dorky, but I had them on my first FJR, and after 77K miles the factory head light plastic looked like new, while the guards had several deep scratches.

Then it was time for more wiring. I am so sick of doing wiring on this bike, but it has to get done. First I installed the Brodie ground spider harness. This was pretty easy to do with as many of the panels as I already had off the bike. I will say that a dental pick with a 90 degree bend at the tip worked great for getting the covers off, and the spiders out. I then installed the switches for the Clearwater lights, and for the Gerbing heated gear. I really liked the way the knobs from Clearwater looked, so I had them send me a few extra, and the knob fit the Gerbing control perfectly. I am really pleased with how the install of the three control knobs turned out.

I then installed the Addmore light harness for the lights that are installed on my Givi E52. Hooking this up was a breeze with this kit, though I did not run the wires strictly the way they advise, since I had to take into consideration how I had previously had the wiring run. I then mounted the plate for the Givi, which is about as easy of a thing to do as you can imagine.

I then installed all the fittings on my TAT fuel cell, and mounted it the bike, making sure that all the lines would not be pinched, and everything would work as it should.

There is still a ton to do, but I am putting things on the bike instead of taking them off, and that is a good feeling.

Well, I went out to the shop to take some picture of the work I got done today, and the batteries in the camera were dead. I will have to give more pictures for the next update.

I got up at 3:00 am this morning, so that I could have a few hours to work on things, and not have to worry about the kids, or my wife who is currently suffering from a herniated disk. Free time has been very hard to come by lately.

I finally got the front wheel installed, along with the front fender with the fender extender on it, and put the brakes calipers on. I then installed speed bleeders on the brakes and the clutch, and completely flushed the entire system. There was some nasty crap in the reservoir for the clutch, so even though the bike only has 8K miles on it, I was really glad I did this.

I then finished greasing the side and center stands, and for the first time in three months took the bike off of the cycle stand.

I then changed the anti-freeze, which probably didn’t need to be done, but with all the body panels off it was easy to do.

Next up was installing the Datel volt meter. I installed it in the exact same way and location as I did on my previous bike, as pictured earlier in this thread.

After that I just couldn’t resist starting the bike up to check to make sure all of the electrical items I added actually work. I added some gas into the tank, and set it next to the bike on a small work bench that works perfectly for supporting the tank and hooking it up, but not having the tank actually on the bike itself.

I had a few things to work out with how the Krista lights were hooked up, since I had hooked into the wrong wire on the horn (so that the lights go on high when the horn button is hit) and it took me a few minutes to figure out the problem. Otherwise everything worked just the way it should. I will have to wait until I get out on the road to try the cruise control, but it powered up just the way it should, so I hope it is all set.

I still have at least a full days worth of work to do before the bike will be ready to hit the road, and depending on the weather I might put off drilling the tank for the fuel cell for a few weeks, but I am starting the see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Now that the bike is up and running, I need to do a TBS, and chance the oil. I also need to clean up some of the wiring, since i am always hesitant to cut everything to final length until after I have checked to make sure it is actually working.

OK, photos as promised:

Rear of bike with Givi E52 with Admore light kit installed, and lots of reflective decals.

Datel volt meter installed just aft of the battery compartment.

Aux light switch and dials for dimmers on Clearwater lights and control for heated gear (knob on right).

HID head lights on low beam, Clearwater lights all the way down.

HIDs on low beam, and Clearwaters dialed all the way up, but still in the “low” setting.

HIDs on high beam, and Clearwaters on full blast.

You can see how much more light is thrown off on each setting by how light the background, which is behind where the lights are projecting, gets.

I was also able to take a few minutes and get the TBS done, though to be honest it didn’t really need it.

It was another 3:00 am start to try and get some work done on the bike this morning. It is actually starting to look like something I could ride again.

Here is how I routed the wires for the Krista lights.

And now a few pictures of how the lights work pointing out the door of my shop.
First is the HID’s only, and the Krista’s off.

Now with the Kristas on the lowest setting. I didn’t think there was almost any difference, but the Kristas in this mode will be acting as marker lights, and making me more noticeable.

Now with the Kristas turned all the way up, but still in the low beam setting.

Lastly, everything thing on full blast.

The one MAJOR thing I have not done is hook up the fuel cell. I need to research it more, and then grow my balls enough to drill the tank.

The Rifle windshield I ordered will be here tomorrow, and then I need to place an order for the N-Line dash and a few other goodies. I also bought a Garmin 2720 today, so I will be running it along with my Zumo 550.

Thanks to the dog waking me up at 3:00 am this morning, I got out to the shop early and got some work done. (The dog is getting old and can’t hold it like she used to).

The sealer to keep the tank from rusting again had dried for almost a full week, so it was time to put the bulkhead fitting in, and get the tank back on the bike. I decided to route the line for the fuel cell down the right side of the bike. here is the bulkhead fitting installed:

I was able to get the fitting installed without resorting to anything other than a standard 3/8″ ratchet. I bought the quick couplers from Sampson ,and they seem to work really well. Here is the tank mounted on the bike, and the quick coupler sticking out just a little from under the tank.

And a picture of the line going back to the fuel cell:

I put enough gas in both the tank, and the fuel cell to make sure nothing was leaking, and everything seems to be working. I had enough gas in the cell that when I opening the transfer valve, I could just barely hear fuel moving into the main tank. I put the seat on, and that part of the job was done.

I then needed to get the N-Line dash completely installed, and all of the accessories I am planning on keeping on the dash.

So I will cut to the chase. Here are the pictures as she is now, ready to go for a test ride tomorrow.

Front with Clearwater’s and HID’s on low:

With Clearwater’s and HID’s on high:

And the final touch:

So far, the list of things I have done to the bike since I bought it are:

>Installed Penske rear shock.
>Installed G2 throttle tube.
>Installed BMW grips.
>Installed hand-guards.
>Installed Pazzo levers.
>Installed heavy bar ends.
>Installed HID front light conversion.
>Changed final drive oil.
>Greased drive shaft splines.
>Installed “Darkside” rear brake caliper brace.
>Installed PAIR covers.
>Installed Vista cruise.
>Changed fork oil, and adjusted settings.
>Installed Super-Brace.
>Changed to Iridium sparks plugs.
>Changed air filter.
>Installed Audio-Vox cruise control.
>Installed fender extender.
>Installed dash mounted Gerbing heat control.
>Installed Cee-Bailey’s head light guards.
>Installed 90 degree valve stems.
>New PR2 front and Darkside car tire rear.
>Installed Brodie ground wire harness.
>Installed handle bar risers.
>Installed reflective decals on side bags and Givi E52.
>Installed Givi E52 with Addmore light kit.
>Installed speed bleeders on brakes and clutch.
>Bled brakes and clutch.
>Greased center and side stands.
>Changed anit-freeze.
>Installed Datel volt meter.
>Performed TBS.
>Installed motovation sliders.
>Installed Clearwater Krista LED lights.
>Changed engine oil and filter.
>Installed Rifle windshield and tuning blocks.
>Installed ZUMO 550 on stem mount.
>Installed N-Line dash shelf.
>Installed Garmin 2720 on dash shelf.
>Installed V1 radar detector with visual alert.
>Installed XM antenna on dash shelf.
>Installed TAT fuel cell.
>Treated gas tank for rust, and sealed it.
>Disconnected windshield auto retract.
>Added Russell seat.

I still need to get the fuel cell cover I have on order from Lind-T, put the Skyway hydration system on when I need it, and put the rest of the tank bag system with the rally book on when I need it. I think that about covers it.
A little update, since I finally got some of the products I was waiting for from Linda T. Here is the bike in full rally mode from the Bonzai rally last weekend. Hydration system, rally book, and fuel cell cover.

I still want to add map light for longer rallies, and then there is the entire communications system to upgrade, but that will have to wait for awhile.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s